One of the good touchscreen laptop choices to consider is the Acer Aspire M5-481PT-6644 with a 14″ inch display, an Intel Core i5 processor, Windows 8, and a price of around $700.
The Aspire M5-481PT-6644 is basically an ultrabook. It is a little bit bulkier than other ultrabooks, but provides a fairly big 14″ diagonal of the 10-point touch display at 1366×768 pixels and a DVD burner. It is 0.9″ thin and weighs 4.6 pounds, with gray aluminum as the main material used for the chassis.
The included Core i5-3337U dual-core processor is from the latest “Ivy Bridge” ultra-low voltage generation. We have no info on performance of the 3337U, since it is a freshly released one, but given that it has only 0.1GHz clock increase over the 3317U, it will be only slightly faster than the latter. Here’s info for the 3317U:
The CPU is accompanied by 6GB of DDR3 memory and a 500GB hard drive, supplemented by a 20GB solid state disk for improved performance of OS and apps. Other stand-out features are backlight keyboard and Bluetooth 4.0, while in other aspects the M5-481PT-6644 doesn’t stand out from the crowd. It has a webcam, stereo speakers, HDMI, two USB 3.0 ports, and an SD/MMC media card reader. A fact to worry about is ultrabook’s 3-cell battery, as opposed to four or even six cells, but Acer bravely claims the battery life is up to eight hours on this system.
Acer Aspire M5-481PT-6644 Specifications
- Display: 14″ LED-backlit LCD HD widescreen 10-point multitouch display (1366 x 768 resolution)
- Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core “Ivy Bridge” i5-3337U, 3MB L3 cache, 1.8GHz CPU speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
- Memory: 6GB DDR3 memory
- Storage: 500GB Serial ATA HDD (5400 rpm) + 20GB SSD
- Optical drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: 1.3MP HD webcam
- Audio: stereo speakers, Dolby Home Theater v4
- Network: Wireless-N, Bluetooth 4.0 + HS interface
- Input: Backlit chiclet keyboard and multigesture touchpad
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x HDMI, 2-in-1 SD/MMC media reader
- Battery: 3-cell lithium-polymer battery
- Dimensions: 0.9 x 13.4 x 9.7 inches
- Weight: 4.6 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.