The Asus K55VD, K55VM and K55A are the first models from the new generation of the company’s affordable 15.6-inch K55 mainstream notebook series, based on the 3rd Generation Intel Core processors and optional Nvidia graphics.
The K55 has a new chassis look, with a brushed-aluminum palm rest, dust-resistant chiclet keyboard, and a one-piece trackpad which appears to be larger than on the previous K53, but the textured plastic lid remained the same. The aluminum palm rest is an unexpected feature included on this inexpensive notebook, but keep in mind that the white version of the system is all-plastics. Other than white, the Asus K55 comes in brown, blue, red, and pink color.
With a thickness of 1.25 inches and a weight of 5.55 pounds, the K55 is rather a desktop replacement laptop than a portable system for carrying around, but these measures are in line with the other notebooks in the same full-size category.
Internal specs-wise, the laptops are offered with a limited range of the 3rd Gen Intel “Ivy Bridge” processors, namely the Intel Core i3-3110M, i5-3210M, and i7 3610QM. So far, there are three different K55 Intel versions. The first is the K55A with graphics powered by the on-CPU Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics, the second is the K55VD with the Nvidia GeForce 610M dedicated video card with 2GB of DDR3 VRAM, and the third is the K55VM with the more powerful GeForce GT 630M 2GB DDR3. That’s apparently the only difference between the three models.
Other than that, all K55-series versions are equipped with two SODIMM slots for up to 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz memory, up to 1TB of storage space, a DVD burner, Blu-ray Combo, or Blu-ray burner, Altec Lansing stereo speakers, USB 3.0, HDMI, and a six-cell 4700mAh battery.
Prices for the K55 vary depending on configuration. You can find on the market Core i5-powered K55A systems for about $720, but i3 configurations are expected to cost less than that.
Asus K55 Specifications
- Display: 15.6-inch 1366×768 LED-backlight, glossy
- Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3610QM, i5-3210M, or i3-3110M
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 630M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM (K55VM models), GeForce 610M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM (K55VD models), or Intel HD 4000 (K55A models)
- Memory: Up to 8GB DDR3 1,600MHz, 2 memory slots
- Storage: Up to 1TB at 5,400rpm, 750GB and 500GB 7,200rpm options
- Optical Drive: DVD burner, Blu-ray Combo, or Blu-ray writer
- Webcam: 0.3MP
- Audio: Altec Lansing stereo speakers
- Network: 802.11n wireless, Gigabit LAN, Bluetooth 3.0
- Input: Chiclet keyboard with numeric pad, no backlight, single-piece multi-touch touchpad
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, SD/MMC media card reader
- Battery: 6-cell 4700mAh 50Whr
- Dimensions: 1.00-1.25 x 14.88 x 9.88 inches
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Home Basic, or Starter
- Warranty: 1 or 2 years, depending on country
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.