The Asus VivoBook is one of our favorite notebook series, because it delivers an ultrabook-like performance, thinness, an admirable feature set, and aluminum chassis at an affordable price. One of the models is the S300CA-BBI5T01, offering a 13.3-inch touch-enabled screen, the 3rd Gen Intel Core i5-3337U processor with two cores, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB hard drive for $600.
Similarly specced touchscreen ultrabooks are around $800 and their main advantage hardware-wise is storage speed, since they offer solid state drives or hybrid HDD/SSD at least. One of the good examples is the Samsung NP540U3C-A03UB.
Back to the Asus S300CA-BBI5T01, it’s worth noting that the screen resolution is 1366 x 768, as expected for an inexpensive ultraportable. It was also predictable that graphics relies on the non-gaming Intel HD 4000 and that there’s no built-in optical drive due to its thin-and-light design. When it comes to the CPU, the i5-3337U doesn’t belong to the latest 4th Generation family, but it’s still a pretty much capable chip for daily work and even video and photo editing.
The laptop has a profile height of 0.9″ and weighs 3.9 pounds, so it’s a highly portable little machine, convenient for those who travel a lot. While we are at mobility, it isn’t known how long the battery lasts but the fact is that it’s a Lithium-Polymer unit with a decent capacity of 44 Whrs, similar to those in ultrabooks running about 4.5-5 hours on a single charge with light Wi-Fi web browsing use.
The base of the laptop around its chiclet non-baclit keyboard and large seamless touchpad is silver, while the lid is dark gray. Both surfaces are constructed of aluminum. The bottom is made of plastics. It doesn’t provide upgrade doors for RAM and HDD and the battery isn’t user-removable.
For other (less interesting) specs, please check out the specs sheet below. Let’s just mention as the most important, there USBs, HDMI, stereo speakers, and webcam.
Update: A new version of the laptop is available. It’s the Asus Q301LA-BHI5T02.
Asus S300CA-BBI5T01 Specifications
- Display: Touchscreen, 13.3″, 1366×768 resolution, glare-type
- Processor: 3rd Genertion Intel Core i5-3337U “Ivy Bridge” dual-core ULV, clock speed at 1.8GHz-2.7GHz, 3MB cache
- Graphics: Intel HD 4000 integrated
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 at 1,600MHz, not user-upgradeable
- Storage: 500GB HDD at 5,400 rpm
- Optical drive: none
- Webcam: HD
- Audio: Stereo speakers
- Network: 802.11b/g/n Wireless, Gigabit LAN
- Input: Keyboard with chiclet-style keys, single-piece multi-touch touchpad
- Ports and Slots: 1 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, multi-format card reader
- Battery: 4-cell 43Wh Lithium-Ion, “up to 4.37 hours”
- Dimensions: 0.9″ x 13″ x 9.2″
- Weight: 3.9 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.