The Gateway NV56R10u 15.6-inch laptop comes with the Intel Pentium B950 processor, probably the most frequently used CPU in the budget laptops.
The dual-core CPU at 2.1GHz is suplemented by 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive. The chip has a decent performance for everyday routine computing, but it lacks HyperThreading and QuickSync, which makes it visibly slower than the i3 in some tasks.
This is a typical example of a budget notebook configuration for 2012. Besides these core components that appear to be optimal for this kind of laptops, the NV56R10u also sports a 1366×768 glare-type screen, DVD burner, webcam, HDMI, Wi-Fi, and Gigabit LAN. The battery has six cells and provides up to 4.5 hours of battery life, according to Gateway.
Outside the chassis, the NV56R10u doesn’t bring any surprises either. The body is made of glossy black plastics, with an interesting pattern to lessen its monotony.
The laptop is currently priced at only about $340.
Gateway NV56R10u Specifications:
- Display: 15.6″ HD Widescreen Ultrabright LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768 resolution)
- Processor: Intel Pentium B950 dual-core at 2.1GHz processor speed
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics integrated
- Memory: 4GB DDR3-1066 system memory up to 8GB
- Storage: 320GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
- Optical drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: HD webcam with 1280×1024 resolution
- Audio: Internal stereo speakers, High Definition Audio
- Network: Wireless-N, Gigabit LAN, no Bluetooth
- Input: full sized keyboard with numeric pad and touchpad
- Ports and Slots: 3 x USB 2.0, HDMI and VGA video ports, Multi-in-1 Digital Media Reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion battery, 4.5 hours maximum battery life
- Dimensions: 12 x 3 x 16.50 inches
- Weight: 5.7 pounds
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
- Warranty: 1-year
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.