If you are in a the market for a well-equipped but not too expensive touchscreen ultrabook, one of the choices is the 4-1115dx, featuring a 14-inch screen displaying Windows 8, Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, a 500GB hard disk, and an $800 price tag.
Measuring 0.9 inches in profile, the 4-1115dx isn’t as thin as some other ultrabooks such as the 0.7″ Asus Zenbook. In addition, the HP has a traditional hard drive, whereas ultrabooks usually sport a solid state drive or sometimes a hybrid drive. These characteristics show that this model ins’t a classic ultrabook, but rather an ultrabook/standard laptop crossover.
On the other side, the included i5-3317U CPU is a standard ultrabook-use ultra-low voltage part. It has two cores and offers decent performance for everyday tasks and multimedia.
Besides features that are present in almost all laptops on today’s market, such as stereo speakers, webcam, and HDMI, this Envy 4 model has backlight keyboard and Bluetooth.
The HP Envy 4-1115dx has a silver brushed aluminum on the palmrest and area surrounding the keyboard, while the back is dark gray soft-touch.
Update: A new Envy 4 model is available with the Intel Core i5-3337U processor as the main difference. It’s $680 and is called Envy 4-1215dx.
HP Envy 4-1115dx Specifications
- Display: 14-inch multi-touch, BrightView (glossy), 1,366 x 768 resolution
- Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3317U ultra-low voltage dual-core, 1.7GHz-2.6GHz
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 RAM, 2 DIMM slots
- Storage: 500GB hard drive at 5,400rpm
- Optical drive: none
- Webcam: Yes
- Audio: stereo speakers, Beats Audio
- Network: Wireless-N, Gigabit LAN, Bluetooth
- Input: Backlit chiclet keyboard, touchpad with multitouch gesture support, touchscreen
- Ports and Slots: 2 USB 3.0; 1 USB 2.0, HDMI, multi-in-one media card reader
- Battery: 4-cell lithium-ion battery
- Dimensions: 0.9 x 13.5 x 9.3 inches
- Weight: 4.7 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.