The HP m6-k015dx and m6-k025dx Envy TouchSmart Sleekbook are newly designed laptops from the thin-profile series for consumers. The main innovations are touchscreen input support and the latest 4th Generation Intel Core i5 processor codenamed “Haswell”.
The multitouch display, enabling use of all Windows 8 gestures as well as creation of paintings with your fingers and other creativity, has the standard 1,366×768 resolution on the m6-k015dx and full HD 1920×1080 on the m6-k025dx. That’s the only difference between the models. The screens are powered by the Intel HD 4400 graphics, integrated into the Core i5-4200U dual-core processor running at between 1.6 and 2.6GHz, depending on a task. The CPU is a mid-range “Haswell” part and you can read more about it here. It isn’t much faster than comparable 3rd Gen “Ivy Bridge” i5, but the integrated Intel HD 4400 graphics is visibly better than the previous HD 4000. It’s still just an non-gaming integrated graphics processor, but it has some gaming potential. However, the main improvement brought by Haswell is enhanced power efficiency for a better battery life. This means the HP m6-k015dx and m6-k025dx will have a longer run time than an “Ivy Bridge” i5-powered m6, but exact battery life estimation is not available. As a side note, the bottom of the chassis is sealed, meaning that users can’t replace the battery, RAM, and HDD themselves, at least not easily.
While we are at the chassis, its design is undoubtedly sleek and attractive, with aluminum finish and a profile of 0.8″ high. The color of the chassis is silver, in contrast with the black keyboard. The weight of the laptop is 5.6 pounds, meaning that it is not any lighter than the average 15.6-incher.
The good thing regarding the keyboard is that it does have backlight, so typing in a darkened room will be more precise.
Other important components of the notebooks include 8GB of RAM, double the average amount in laptops on today’s market, and a 750GB hard disk drive, up from usual 500GB. For a good audio experience, the m6-k015dx and m6-k025dx pack not only Beats Audio sound enhancement technology, but also a built-in subwoofer alongside stereo speakers. Stand-out features in the networking and connectivity department are Intel Wireless Display technology for external displays and Bluetooth, supplementing the usual Wi-Fi 802.11n, Gigabit LAN, HDMI, multiformat card reader, two USB 3.0 ports, and a single USB 2.0 port.
The HP Envy TouchSmart Sleekbook m6-k015dx and m6-k025dx are both currently priced at $750, so the latter with the full HD display is obviously a better choice. You can take a look at other touchscreen notebooks we overviewed. If you generally like these models, but don’t need touch display functionality, you can grab the HP m6-k010dx for $630.
HP m6-k015dx / m6-k025dx Envy TouchSmart Sleekbook Specifications
- Display: 15.6-inch multi-touch display, 1,366 x 768 (m6-k015dx) or 1,920×1,080 (m6-k025dx) resolution, glare type (BrightView)
- Processor: 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200U dual-core, 1.6-2.6GHz clock speed, 3MB of L2 cache
- Graphics: Intel HD 4400-series integrated graphics
- Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, expandable to 16GB
- Storage: 750GB HDD at 5400rpm
- Optical drive: None
- Webcam: HD
- Audio: Stereo speakers plus subwoofer, Beats Audio technology
- Network: 802.11n wireless, Ethernet LAN, Bluetooth, Intel Wireless Display
- Input: Backlit chiclet keyboard with numeric keypad, touchpad with multitouch gesture support
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x USB 2.0 port, HDMI, multi-in-one media card reader, combo audio headphone/mic jack
- Battery: 3-cell 4.56Ah 50WHr lithium-ion battery
- Dimensions: 0.85″ x 15.00″ x 10.10″
- Weight: 5.6 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year