The 15.6-inch HP Pavilion g6-2238dx is a smaller version of the recently released g7-2235dx 17.3-inch configuration. Both notebooks come with the AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M processor with performance similar to the 3rd Generation Intel Core i5, 4GB of RAM, and a 640GB hard drive, making them mid-range AMD-based systems. AMD’s A-series chips are good when it comes to their integrated graphics, and the included HD 7640G is no exception, offering better performance than the latest Intel HD 4000 IGP.
If you don’t need bigger and higher resolution screen of the g7, the g6-2238dx is a logical choice and in addition to greater portability you will save $50. The smaller one is priced at $400 as opposed to $450.
The laptops are from the affordable 2012 Pavilion g-series with plastic bodies, glossy finish, rounded edges, and chiclet non-backlight keyboards.
HP Pavilion g6-2238dx Specifications
- Display: 15.6″ LED-backlit HD widescreen display, BrightView technology (1366 x 768 px resolution)
- Processor: AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor at 1.9GHz CPU speed
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7640G discrete-class graphics
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
- Storage: 640GB HDD (5400 rpm)
- Optical drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: TrueVision HD webcam
- Audio: Dolby Advanced Audio with stereo speakers
- Network: Wireless-N, 10/100/Base-T Ethernet LAN, no Bluetooth
- Input: full sized keyboard with numeric pad, multitouch gesture support on touchpad and on/off button
- Ports and Slots: 2 USB 3.0; 1 USB 2.0, HDMI and VGA ports, multiformat media reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion
- Dimensions: 1.4 x 14.8 x 9.6 inches
- Weight: 5.5 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year