Update: The newer HP g6-2330dx has a better processor for the same price.
With a price of $400, the HP Pavilion g6-2239dx 15.6-inch laptop is a $30 cheaper alternative to the g6-2278dx. The main trade-off of the g6-2239dx is its slower processor. It features the AMD A6-4400M dual core chip, whereas the 2278dx sports the quad-core AMD A8-4500M. Both CPUs are adequate for basic Web surfing, word processing, multimedia, and even casual gaming thanks to their decent Radeon HD integrated graphics, but the A6 is still considerably slower than the A8 in benchmarks.
Other parts of the notebooks are the same and include a 1366×768 screen, 4GB of RAM, a 640GB hard disk drive, DVD burner, stereo speakers, HDMI, and USB 3.0 technology. Design is also the same, with glossy black surfaces covering the laptops and isle-style keyboards.
If you don’t need a 640GB HDD for your files and want to additionally save $20 you can buy the g6-2320dx with a 500GB unit.
HP Pavilion g6-2239dx Specifications
- Display: 15.6″ LED Backlit HD widescreen display, BrightView technology (1366 x 768 resolution)
- Processor: AMD A6-4400M Accelerated Processor, 1MB L2 Cache, 2.7GHz clock speed, up to 3.2GHz
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7520G GPU, integrated
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Storage: 640GB HDD (5400 rpm)
- Optical drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: TrueVision HD webcam
- Audio: Altec Lansing dual speakers with Dolby Advanced Audio
- Network: Wireless-N, 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN, no Bluetooth
- Input: Full-size island-style keyboard with numeric keypad and multitouch touchpad
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, Multi-Format Media Card Reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion battery
- Dimensions: 1.4 x 14.8 x 9.6 inches
- Weight: 5.5 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year