If you need laptop with a big screen and a plenty of storage space for your files, the HP Pavilion g7-2240us might be one of those you are looking for. The 17.3-incher with 1600×900 resolution and a 750GB hard drive also has the Intel Core i3-2370M dual-core processor from the previous 2nd Gen “Sandy Brigde” Intel family, and 6GB of RAM.
This glossy black laptop is rather a desktop PC replacement than a system suitable for carrying around, since it weighs 6.6 pounds and has a big footprint. It’s simple looking, like a typical budget laptop. That’s expected since it belongs to the inexpensive Pavilion g-series.
HP’s g7-2240us can be found for about $600 and that appears to be its main downside, because there are notebooks with much faster CPUs for a significantly lower price. One of the examples is the 15.6″ Asus K55A-HI5103D with a way better 3rd Generation “Ivy Bridge” i5 CPU for $450. If the g7′s big form factor is more important to you anyway, you can also take a look at the g7-2235dx with a similarly fast AMD A8 CPU when compared to the i3 and smaller RAM and HDD, but also lower price of $450.
HP Pavilion g7-2240us Specifications:
- Display: 17.3″ LED-backlit HD display, BrightView technology (1600 x 900 resolution)
- Processor: 2nd Gen Intel Core i3-2370M dual-core processor, 3MB L3 cache, 2.4GHz clock
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000
- Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
- Storage: 750GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
- Optical drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: HP TrueVision HD webcam
- Audio: Stereo speakers, Dolby Advanced Audio
- Network: Wireless-N, 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN, Bluetooth
- Input: full sized keyboard with numeric pad (no backlight) and touchpad with multigesture support and on/off button
- Ports and Slots: 2 USB 3.0; 1 USB 2.0, HDMI port, Multiformat media reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion
- Dimensions: 1.5 x 16.2 x 10.5 inches
- Weight: 6.6 pounds
- OS: Windows 8 64-bit
- Warranty: 1-year