The Samsung NP700Z5C-S02UB is one of the best equipped standard consumer laptops on the market. It shares the same good selling points as the discontinued NP700Z5C-S01UB, but with a few changes hardware- and software-wise.
First let’s take a look at why the NP700Z5C-S02UB is an exceptional laptop:
- It has a high-performance processor, namely the Intel Core i7-3635QM with four cores.
- There’s the Nvidia GeForce GT 640M 1GB dedicated video card built-in, instead of the common and much slower Intel HD integrated graphics. More precisely, the laptop has both the GT 640M and Intel HD 4000, but they work in conjunction to provide the best balance between performance and power efficiency.
- The 15.6-inch display has an above average display resolution and screen brightness – 1600×900 pixels and 300 nits, respectively. Also, matte finish is preferred by many users and this model has it.
- The laptop incorporates large RAM and HDD capacities of 8GB and 1 Terabyte, which are maximal for the standard notebook category. Unfortunately, there is no info on ExpressCache technology, which is a dedicated flash memory-based add-on to hard disk for better system performance. All of the Series 7 models have ExpressCache, so we assume it is included, but not mentioned in the specs sheets online.
- It has a backlit keyboard and a premium looking 0.9″ thin aluminum chassis.
When it comes to differences between the NP700Z5C-S02UB and S01UB, its worth noting that the former has a 0.1GHz faster CPU from the same Intel quad-core “Ivy Bridge” lineup, as well as a faster graphics card since the GT 640M is better than the GT 630M used in the latter model. In addition, the S02UB ships with Windows 8 instead of 7.
These improvements found in the S02UB won’t cost you extra money because the laptop is $900, whereas the S01UB was $1,000 at the launch date last year.
Samsung NP700Z5C-S02UB Specifications
- Display: 15.6″ LED HD widescreen display (1600×900) 300-nit brightness
- Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3635QM CPU, 6MB L3 cache, 2.4GHz CPU speed, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 1GB
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 memory
- HDD: 1TB SATA II (5400 rpm)
- ODD: DVD burner
- Audio: HD with Sound Alive, stereo speakers (2W x 2) with Subwoofer
- Webcam: 1.3MP
- Networking: Wireless-N, Gigabit LAN, Bluetooth 4.0
- Input: Backlit full sized keyboard with numeric pad and touchpad
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, 3-in-1 digital media card reader
- Battery: 8-cell lithium-polymer
- Dimensions: 14.2″ x 9.3″ x 0.9″
- Weight: 5.3 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year standard
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.