The Samsung NP900X3C-A01US is the first thin-and-light laptop with a 3rd Generation Intel Core ultra-low voltage processor available for purchase in the US.
Although Samsung doesn’t advertise the Series 9 laptops as Ultrabooks but rather as premium ultra-thin laptops, the product page on Amazon says the NP900X3C-A01US is an Ultrabook. Call it Ultrabook or otherwise, the device is exceptionally thin and delivers an attractive aluminum design. Here’s a breakdown of the most important features of the notebook:
- A sleek titanium-silver aluminum case, measuring a half an inch thin.
- A 1,600×900 IPS display in 13.3-inch form factor and 400-nit screen brightness. This is a far better display in terms of resolution, brightness, and viewing angles than most of the Ultrabooks and similar laptops with the same screen size.
- The 3rd Generation Intel Core “Ivy Bridge” processor. The i5-3317U is designed to deliver a better performance-per-watt ratio than its “Sandy Bridge” precursors.
- The power-saving CPU in combination with the included battery provides a battery life of up to nine hours, according to the official specs.
- A solid state drive. Its writing/reading speeds and system boot times are far better than with the traditional mechanical drives.
- A backlight keyboard.
Samsung NP900X3C-A01US Specifications
- 13.3-inch IPS anti-glare at HD+ 1600 x 900, 400-nits SuperBright Plus
- 3rd generation Intel Core “Ivy Bridge” i5-3317U dual-core 3MB L3 cache, 1.7GHz (up to 2.6GHz in Turboboost) CPU
- Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU
- 4GB DDR3 RAM
- 128GB solid state drive, no optical drive
- 1.3MP webcam, stereo speakers 1.5W x 2
- Wi-Fi 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, Gigabit LAN, Intel WiDi (Wireless Display)
- 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, Micro HDMI, Headphone/Microphone Combo, 4-in-1 Multi Card Slot (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC); LAN provided via dongle
- Dimensions and Weight: 12.3 x 8.6 x 0.5 inches, 2.55 pounds
- Windows 7 Home Premium OS
- 1-year standard warranty
Note: The NP900X3C-A01US arrived just a couple of days after HP had put on sale the 3rd-Gen Core-powered HP Envy Spectre XT and Envy 6 Ultrabook. However, HP’s laptops won’t ship until June 26th.