If you were considering buying the 15.6-inch NE56R48U laptop with the Intel Pentium B960 processor for $300, the Gateway NE56R49U will give you a second thought. For $50 more, or $350 precisely, the NE56R49U delivers a faster Core i3 CPU and a larger 500GB hard drive, up from 320GB. (Note: The laptop is currently unavailable on the market.)
The included chip is the Core i3-3110M from the latest “Ivy Bridge” generation, with much better computing muscle than the B-series Pentium from the older “Sandy Bridge” lineup. The main additional feature of the mentioned i3 is HyperThreading, allowing better multitasking and performance generally. Also, the built-in Intel HD 4000 GPU is better than the older Intel HD on the Pentium. But, it isn’t a gaming-class graphics processor by no means.
Among other features, the Gateway’s NE56R49U has 4GB of RAM, a DVD burner, stereo speakers, webcam, three USB ports, HDMI, and a six-cell battery.
It has a silver / black chassis made of glossy plastics and a classic-style keyboard without big spacing between keys, which are, on the positive side, pretty much large.
Gateway NE56R49U Specifications:
- Display: 15.6-inch at 1366 x 768 pixels, Ultrabright (glossy)
- Processor: Intel Core i3-3110M “Ivy Bridge” dual-core at 2.4GHz, 3MB cache
- Graphics: Intel HD 4000 integrated
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 1,600MHz, expandable to 8GB
- Storage: 500GB 5,400rpm hard drive
- Optical drive: DVD writer
- Webcam: 1.3MP webcam
- Audio: stereo speakers, Intel HD audio
- Network: 802.11N Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet LAN
- Input: keyboard with classic (non-isle) keys, number pad, multitouch touchpad
- Ports and Slots: 3 USB 2.0 ports, HDMI and VGA video ports, multiformat card reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion
- Dimensions: 1.3″ x 15″ x 10″
- Weight: 5.5 pounds
- OS: Windows 8 64-bit OS
- Warranty: 1-year