The HP Pavilion TouchSmart Sleekbook 14-f020us is a 14-inch consumer-class laptop model with touch-enabled display and a power-efficient quad-core AMD processor.
Hardware hidden inside the 0.9″ thin chassis with a weight of 4.7 pounds consists of the AMD A4-5000 processor, commonly used 4GB of RAM, and a large 750GB hard disk. Besides four cores, the 1.5GHz chip from the recently released “Kabini” family has the Radeon HD 8330 integrated graphics, but the whole processor isn’t a high-end part. It’s rather a low-cost power-saving solution to enable great power efficiency and cheap prices of the laptops powered by it. HP estimates the 4-cell battery of the 14-f020us lasts “up to 5 hours and 45 minutes” on a single charge, which is an excellent run time considering the screen size and battery capacity.
The display has a 1366×768-pixel resolution.
Outwards, the laptop doesn’t offer any great design details, but overall it’s a nice looking and sleek machine with black interior, light gray lid and silverish hinges and sides. These surfaces are glossy, commonly seen on consumer laptops. The keyboard has chiclet keys, but backlight for them is missing. The trackpad has physically isolated click buttons.
Other important parts of the 14-f020us include stereo speakers producing sounds enhanced by dts Sound + technology, a 720p web camera, two USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 port, HDMI video output port, and a media card reader. Internet connection is provided via Wireless-N and Ethernet LAN.
The HP Pavilion TouchSmart Sleekbook 14-f020us costs $539. With this price tag, the notebook is one of the cheapest full-size laptops with touch-screen. Alternatively, touch laptop buyers can take a look at numerous similar models, like the 13.3″ Asus SS300CA-BBI5T01 for $600, 15.6-inch Lenovo IdeaPad S500 – 59371478 for $560, and others. The two mentioned models have Intel Core i3 processors, which are faster than the A4-5000. Another choice we mustn’t forget is the smaller sibling of the overviewed laptop. It’s the HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11 with a 11.6″ display, the “Kabini” CPU, and a sub-400-dollar starting price tag.
HP Pavilion TouchSmart Sleekbook 14-f020us Specifications
- Display: 14-inch multitouch, 1366 x 768 pixels, glossy
- Processor: AMD Quad-Core A4-5000 “Kabini” at 1.5GHz, 2MB L2 Cache
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8330 integrated
- Memory: 4GB DDR3, max 8GB
- Storage: 750GB 5,400rpm HDD
- Optical drive: none
- Webcam: HP TrueVision HD 720p webcam
- Audio: stereo speakers, dts Sound + technology
- Network: 802.11b/g/n wireless, Ethernet LAN
- Input: chiclet-style keyboard, multitouch trackpad
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0; 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x digital multimedia card reader
- Battery: 4-cell lithium-ion, “up to 5 hours and 45 minutes”
- Dimensions: 0.9″ x 13.7″ x 9.4″
- Weight: 4.7 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year