Update: A newer version with the same hardware and Windows 8 instead of 7 is now available. It’s the Lenovo N586 – 59359207.
If you follow the laptop market closely, you will probably find the Lenovo N586 – 754084U to be a weird model when it comes to its name. It is available at Best Buy as an IdeaPad series system, but Lenovo doesn’t have any “N” model in the lineup. The N586 appears to have the same design as the Essential G-series models, such as the better known G-series G580/G585, but with matte plastics instead of aluminum/glossy plastics combination. On the other side, both have Lenovo’s chiclet-style AccuType keyboards with ergonomic keys.
The N586 – 754084U is a 15.6-inch notebook, which can be also described as a desktop PC replacement, due to its weight of 5.7 pounds. Its price of $430 clearly indicates that it is a budget-oriented machine and for that sum of money you get the AMD A6-4400M dual-core processor with the AMD Radeon HD 7520G integrated graphics, 4GB of system memory, and a 500GB hard drive. Also are included a DVD burner, a built-in web camera, USB 3.0 speed on two out of three USB ports, and stereo speakers. An extra feature which is not usual for one of the cheapest notebooks on the market is Dolby Advanced Audio, but that’s pretty much it when it comes to surprises.
Regarding performance, the A6-4400M “Piledriver” scores 2,575 in PassMark’s CPU benchmark, which is similar score of the Intel Core i3-2310M (2,622) from the last year’s Intel “Sandy Bridge” family. In terms of graphics, the Radeon HD 7520G is far better than the HD 3000 built into the i3-2310M, with a score of 450 versus 291. However, both GPUs are not sufficient for any serious 3D gaming for today’s standards, but 1080p video playback support is provided by both processors.
Lenovo N586 – 754084U Specifications
- Display: 15.6-inch at 1366×768 pixels, LED backlight, no info on glossy/anti-glare coating
- Processor: AMD A6-Series “Piledriver” A6-4400M dual-core, 2.7-3.2GHz clock speed, 1MB of L2 cache, 32nm
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7520G on-CPU
- Memory: 4GB DDR3, expandable to 8GB
- Storage: 500GB hard disk at 5,400rpm
- Optical Drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: Yes
- Audio: stereo speakers, Dolby Advanced Audio technology
- Network: Wireless N, 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, no Bluetooth
- Input: Chiclet AccuType keyboard with numeric pad, no backlight, trackpad with physical buttons
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, multi-in-one card reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion
- Dimensions: 1.4 x 14.8 x 9.7 inches
- Weight: 5.7 pounds
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
- Warranty: 1-year
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.