Before purchasing the extremely cheap Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5303 15.6-inch laptop, currently selling for $270 at Best Buy, it’s good to know how does its processor perform. In short, the included AMD E-300 clearly provides very limited speed if you compare it to the lowest-end Intel laptop CPUs such as the Celeron B-series. That said, the AMD chip is good for only basic computing tasks (web surf, e-mail, office). 2GB of RAM further limits computing capabilities of the C855D-S5303, especially multitasking, so system memory upgrade is strongly recommended. One of the good sides is hardware support for 1080p video decoding.
Toshiba has also included a 320GB hard drive, DVD burner, webcam, three USB 2.0 ports, multi-format memory card reader, and VGA out, but HDMI is missing.
The laptop is a simple looking one, with matte texture plastics as the main material and slightly rounded edges.
As you can see, the notebook is pretty much modest in terms of features, performance, and design, but its price of $270 is hard, if not impossible, to beat in the 15.6″ notebook segment at the time of this writing. In addition, the latest Windows 8 is another plus.
Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5303 Specifications:
- Display: 15.6″ LED-backlit TFT HD widescreen display, 1366 x 768px resolution
- Processor: AMD Dual-Core E-300 dual-core CPU at 1.3GHz clock speed
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6310 integrated graphics
- Memory: 2GB DDR3 system memory, expandable to 16GB of memory
- Storage: 320GB Serial ATA HDD (5400 rpm)
- Optical drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: HD webcam
- Audio: standard stereo speakers
- Network: Wireless-N, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, no Bluetooth
- Input: full-size keyboard with numeric 10-key pad, and multitouch control touchpad
- Ports and Slots: 3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x VGA, memory card reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion
- Dimensions: 1.3 x 15 x 9.5 inches
- Weight: 5.5 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.