When you compare the Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 to the similar Z580, you’ll notice that the former is a kind of higher-end notebook with the same purpose – entertainment.
Besides multimedia orientation, you can add gaming to the usability list of the IdeaPad Y580, since the 15.6-incher sports the gaming-class Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M video card option, as well as some better CPU choices than on the Z580. Alongside the 2nd Generation Intel Core i5, the Y580 is offered with a full range of the 3rd Gen “Ivy Bridge” chips, ranging from the i3-3110M to the i7-3820QM.
Other advanced options which are missing on its lower-end Z-series counterpart is an optional full HD display and keyboard backlight, 32GB mSATA solid state drive option for a more responsive system, and an optionally built-in TV tuner. What we found weird on the pricier and generally better specced Y580 is use of 2 x 1.5W stereo speakers, whereas the Z580 includes 2 x 2W sound setup. Both notebooks are Dolby Home Theater v4 compatible.
On the design side, its worth noting that both laptops feature Lenovo’s AccuType ergonomic keyboard with individual rounded keys and a separate numeric pad. The Y-series model sports dark gray brushed aluminum on the lid and palm-rests, while the base is made of plastics. The system is 1.4-inch thick, giving an impression that the notebook rather tries to be a high-performance machine instead of a slim consumer laptop with computing power trade-offs.
Overall, the Lenovo Y580 is a quite powerful notebook, with more CPU and 3D graphics oomph than many other consumer-class laptops, but it leaves a lot to be desired in the audio department. Especially since we know that HP’s 2012 Pavilion dv6, for example, has four built-in speakers and subwoofer.
Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 Specifications
- Display: 15.6″ VibrantView (glossy) 1366×768 or 1920×1080, 220 nits brightness, 500:1 contrast ratio
- Processor: 2nd Generation Intel Core dual-core i5-2520M, i5-2450M, i5-2370M, i5-2350M or
- 3rd Generation Intel Core quad-core i7-3820QM, i7-2720QM, i7-3610QM, dual-core i7-3520M, i5-3360M, i5-3220M, i5-3210M, i3-3110M
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5 or GT 650M, Nvidia Optimus switchable GPU technology
- Memory: Up to 8GB DDR3 at 1,600MHz, two RAM slots
- Storage: Up to 1TB HDD at 5,400rpm, 500GB 7,200rpm option, optional 32GB mSATA SSD
- Optical Drive: DVD burner, Blu-ray Combo, Blu-ray writer
- Webcam: 1MP, 720p
- Audio: Stereo speakers 2 x 1.5W by JBL, Dolby Home Theater v4
- Network: 802.11n wireless, Gigabit LAN, optional Bluetooth, optional WiDi (Intel Wireless Display), optional TV tuner
- Input: AccyType isle keyboard with numeric pad and backlight, multi-touch one-piece trackpad
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0, 2 X USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, 6-in-1 media card reader
- Battery: 6-cell 72WHr, up to 5 hours of “productive usage”
- Dimensions: 0.9″-1.4″ x 15.2″ x 10.0″
- Weight: 5.95 pounds
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
- Warranty: 1-year