The Toshiba Satellite C855 is the latest version of the value-class C-series 15.6-inch laptop.
Packing the Intel Pentium, Celeron, Core i3, and Core i5 processors from the 2011 “Sandy Bridge” CPU family and without a dedicated video card option except the entry-level AMD 7610M 1GB on one of the offered configurations, the C855 is rather oriented toward money savings than performance computing, which is one of the main selling points of the Satellite P and S series. The Toshiba Satellite C855 isn’t as classy looking either, with plastics as dominant material used instead of aluminum on the P and S Satellites. It is available in a choice of red, white, black or silver gloss finishes with a stylish crossline pattern, textured palm-rest and tiled keyboard.
However, the C855 offers plenty of storage with up to 1TB of space which is the maximum for all single-HDD laptops on the market today. RAM memory capacity is 4 or 6 Gigabytes, depending on configuration. As expected, the screen resolution is widely used 1366×768 pixels and the screen coating is glossy.
With its starting weight of 5.1 pounds, the notebook is on the lighter end of the affordable 15.6-inch category. Thickness measures 1.3 inches and the battery life lasts for up to 5 hours and 30 minutes.
When it comes to connectivity, there’s a standard set of ports and slots including HDMI and USB 3.0, as well as Wireless-N, Ethernet LAN, and Bluetooth.
The only review we have found so far for the C855 is by Trusted Reviews. They find the notebook to have a solid built, practical and unsurprising design, and capable of completing casual computing tasks. The main downside is the mediocre keyboard with shallow and slightly indistinct key action.
Toshiba Satellite C855 Specifications
- Display: 15.6-inch 1,366 x 768 TruBrite (glossy)
- Processor: Intel Celeron B815, Intel Pentium B950 and B960, Intel Core i3-2350M and i5 -2450M, all with dual cores, “Sandy Bridge” generation
- Graphics: Intel HD and HD 3000 integrated
- Memory: Up to 6GB DDR3 at 1,333MHz, two memory slots
- Storage: Up to 1 Terabyte at 5,400rpm
- Optical Drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: 1.0MP HD Web Camera (1,280 x 800) with built-in microphone
- Audio: built-in stereo speakers with SRS Premium Sound HD
- Input: Chiclet keyboard with numeric pad, multi-touch trackpad
- Network: Wi-Fi 802.11n, Ethernet LAN, optional Bluetooth
- Ports and Slots: 1 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, multi-in-1 card reader
- Battery: lithium-ion, up to 5,5 hours measured in Mobile Mark 2007
- Dimensions: 14.96 x 9.53 x 1.32 inches
- Weight: 5.07 pounds
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
- Warranty: 1-year
You can check out how one of the models look like in the unboxing video below:
Toshiba also offers an AMD version of the notebook, called the C855D.
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.