One of the standard-size Windows 8-based laptops with optimal price/performance ratio is the L855-S5119 from Toshiba’s Satellite series. With a price of $400, the 15.6-inch Toshiba L855-S5119 is armed with a 2.5GHz Intel Core i3-3120M dual-core processor, an excellent choice for completing your daily computing tasks with ease. Of course, gaming is largely out of the question because the laptop doesn’t feature a dedicated video card, but office, web, and multimedia will run like a dream.
In addition to the good CPU, the L855-S5119 delivers ample storage thanks to a 640GB hard drive and you can also burn DVDs and CDs with its built-in optical drive. 4GB of RAM on this system is fairly enough for running apps without a glitch and effortless multitasking.
Regarding the display, it’s a conventional 1366×768 panel, found on virtually all notebooks in the value-priced class. It uses LED backlight and has a glossy coating, which is good for providing vivid colors, but outdoor use is troublesome because of glare.
Other parts important for multimedia use are a pair of built-in stereo speakers, SRS Premium Sound HD audio enhancement technology, and HDMI output for connecting the L855-S5119 to high-def TVs. For older monitors, TVs, and projectors, there’s a VGA video output.
For pairing the notebook with various peripherals, Toshiba has included one USB 2.0 and two faster USB 3.0 ports, while for reading your memory cards there’s a multi-format memory card reader. A desirable feature that is missing on the laptop is Bluetooth support, so you will have to rely on USBs hooking up your Bluetooth smartphones, headphones, and other devices. For Internet connection, Wi-Fi and Ethernet LAN are provided.
When it comes to battery life, a Li-Ion 48Wh 6-cell battery enables the laptop to run up to 4 hours and 8 minutes on a single charge, according to Toshiba’s results. That’s an acceptable autonomy for the class the laptop belongs to.
Exterior-wise, the it sports a utilitarian look with rounded edge and “mercury silver” textured finish, combined with a black chiclet-style keyboard. The thickness of 1.3″ is average among 15.6-inchers.
Overall, the Toshiba Satellite L855-S5119 is a smart buying choice, but we must say here that Gateway with its NE56R49U configuration is a tough competitor. It has a smaller 500GB hard drive and a slightly slower i3-3110M processor, but its price of $350 makes it probably even smarter choice.
The Toshiba is available through Best Buy.
Toshiba Satellite L855-S5119 Specifications
- Display: 15.6″ diagonal, 1366-by-768 resolution, TruBrite technology, glossy
- Processor: Dual-Core Intel Core i3-3120M 2.5GHz clock speed, 3MB cache
- Graphics: Intel HD 4000-series integrated graphics processor
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 RAM at 1,600MHz, up to 16GB supported
- Storage: 640GB hard drive spinning at 5,400rpm
- Optical drive: DVD±RW/CD-RW
- Webcam: Yes, 720p
- Audio: Stereo speakers, SRS Premium Sound HD audio technology
- Network: Wireless-N, Wired Ethernet LAN, no Bluetooth
- Input: Isle (chiclet) style keyboard with number pad, multi-gesture trackpad
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, 1 x multi-format media card reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion 48Wh, maximal 4:08 hours
- Dimensions: 1.3 height x 15 width x 9.5 depth (inches)
- Weight: 5.5 pounds
- OS: Windows 8 OS
- Warranty: 1-year