About HP 3115m
Hewlett-Packard has announced the Pavilion dm1(z) consumer ultraportable last month, but hasn’t forgot about business users. The company is going to launch soon the HP 3115m, a rebadget version of the dm1z, offering the same 11.6-inch form factor and similar internal compontents as its consumer counterprt.
The HP 3115m and dm1z share the same AMD Fusion mobile platform with the AMD E-300 1.3GHz dual-core processor and Radeon HD 6310 integrated graphics or with the faster 1.65GHz dual-core E-450 chip featuring Radeon HD 6320 GPU. The shape of the notebooks is the same. They include chiclet style keyboards, gray chassis color, and soft touch finishes on the back. The difference is that the dm1z has a textured lid, while the business variant is plain.
The downside for some users might be a limited hard drive options range in the 3115m. It makes use of 5,400rpm HDDs in 320GB and 500GB variants, while the dm1z includes faster 7,200rpm options, as well as 640GB 5,400rpm HDD choice. Solid state drive options in the former are 128GB and 160GB, while the latter provides only 160GB SSD choice. Although business laptops usually come with an anti-glare screen, the 11.6″ display on the 3115m is a glossy one (BrightView) with 1366-by-768 pixels.
On the other side, the 3115m delivers in some other areas such as availability of mobile broadband support via optionally built-in HSPA+ module and enhanced security with option to embedd Computrace Persistence Module for the notebook tracking if stolen.
The basic RAM configuration is 2GB, expandable to 8GB since the ultraportables have two SO-DIMM slots.
The company says the battery life is up to 11.5 hours, but it’s most likely measured with some extreme power saving settings.
HP’s 3.5-pound laptop has a 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth, HDMI, stereo speakers, there USB 2.0 ports, and a multi-in one card reader.
It runs Windows 7 Starter, Home Premium, or Pro OS.
HP 3115m Specifications
- Display: 11.6-inch LED-backlit Brightview (1366 x 768)
- Processor and Graphics Options: AMD Dual-Core E-450 APU 1.65 GHz with Radeon HD 6320 integrated graphics or AMD Dual-Core E-300 APU 1.3GHz with Radeon HD 6310 integrated graphics
- Memory: DDR3 SDRAM, 1333 MHz, two slots, up to 8GB
- Storage: 320GB or 500GB 5400rpm HDD
- Networking: 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, optional HSPA+ mobile broadband with GPS support
- Keyboard: 97% full-size, chiclet style
- Audio: stereo speakers, Beats Audio, microphone
- Camera: HD webcam
- Ports and Slots: 3 x USB 2.0; HDMI v1.3b, VGA, headphone-out and mic-in, memory card slot supporting SD, MMC, SDHC, and SDXC
- Battery: 6-cell (55 Whr) lithium-ion battery, up to “11.5” hours of battery life
- Dimensions: 8.46″ x 11.48″ x height of 0.83″ on front and 1.25″ on rear
- Weight: Starting at 3.52 lbs
- OS: Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional
- Warranty: 1-year limited