The HP Pavilion g7-2323dx is one of the g-series 17.3-inch notebook configurations with middle-of-the-road components and an affordable 400-dollar price. The g7-2323dx sports the AMD A8-4500M dual-core chip with the Radeon HD 7640G integrated graphics, 4GB of RAM, and a 640GB hard disk, besides the 1600×900-pixel screen, DVD burner, webcam, stereo speakers, Dolby Audio, three USB ports, and HDMI. All of these parts are encased in a 1.5″ thick chassis measuring 6.6 pounds in weight.
Here’s how the A8 compares against some other laptop-use chips:
As you can see, performance of the g7-2323dx is solid but not extraordinary, outperforming Intel’s Pentium and still lagging behind the Intel Core i3. The included amounts of RAM and HDD storage are also solid, and fully satisfactory for normal use of the system, with the 640GB HDD being slightly larger than the usual 500GB units. The good thing specs-wise on this model is the screen resolution of 1600-by-900 pixels, making the display not just physically more spacious, but also bigger in terms of available space on Windows Desktop and in applications. As for battery life, the included six-cell unit is a standard-sized one, but given the bigger screen, autonomy should be shorter than on the same configuration with a smaller 15.6-inch screen. The 17.3-inchers are known for their modest battery lives anyway and this kind of a notebook is rather intended to sit on the desk most of the time than to be carried around much. Not only because of the poor battery life but also because of the already mentioned hefty weight of 6.6 lbs.
When it comes to exterior, don’t expect luxury appearance and high-quality materials, since it’s just another budget laptop made of glossy black plastics. It the center of it, there’s a chiclet keyboard with a separate numeric pad, which is great if you work with and input large amounts of numeric data.
However, the primary use for this laptop rather entertainment than business and the big high-res screen coupled with Dolby Audio stereo system are good for that purpose.
The notebook can be ordered now via Best Buy.
HP Pavilion g7-2323dx Specifications
- Display: 17.3″ LED-backlit HD widescreen display (1600 x 900 resolution)
- Processor: AMD A8-4500M Accelerated dual-core CPU at 1.9-2.8GHz, 4MB L2 cache
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7640G integrated graphics
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 system memory
- Storage: 640GB HDD (5400 rpm)
- Optical drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: Built-in TrueVision HD webcam
- Audio: Dolby Advanced Audio, stereo speakers
- Network: Wireless-N, 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN, no Bluetooth
- Input: Full-size, island-style keyboard with numeric keypad, multi-touch trackpad
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, memory card reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion battery
- Dimensions: 1.5 x 16.2 x 10.5 inches
- Weight: 6.6 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year
Have a comment, question, or user review? Share it with us in the comment section below.