The 17.3-inch HP Pavilion g7 desktop replacement notebook is available on the market in countless configurations with Intel and AMD processors. The HP Pavilion g7-2235dx is one of them, with the brand new 2012 g-series design, Windows 8, and the AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M processor as the main characteristics. If you are interested in some benchmark results of the A8, you can check out our earlier post about the HP m6-1035dx, which packs the same CPU in the 15.6-inch form factor. In short, its as fast as a 3rd Generation Intel Core i5 dual-core chip, while its integrated AMD 7640G graphics is better than Intel’s HD 4000. The included RAM amount of 4GB is a standard for today’s laptops, while the 640GB hard disk is more spacious than commonly used 500GB units.
Design of the g7-2235dx is a simple one, with black glossy plastics all over the chassis, complemented by a chiclet keyboard with numeric pad, but no backlight.
This notebook offers a decent performance in its desktop replacement category, but not the sleekest design. However, its price of $450 every budget-minded shopper looking for a big-screen laptop will want to pay.
Update: A 15.6-inch version of the same laptop is now available. It’s the g6-2238dx, selling for $50 less.
HP Pavilion g7-2235dx Specifications:
- Display: 17.3″ LED-backlit HD widescreen display (1600 x 900 pixels)
- Processor: AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor, 1.9 GHz CPU (up to 2.8 GHz w/ Turbo Core)
- Graphics: MD Radeon HD 7640G integrated graphics
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM memory
- Storage: 640GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
- Optical drive: DVD burner
- Webcam: yes
- Audio: Stereo speakers, Dolby Advanced Audio
- Network: Wireless-N, Gigabit LAN, no Bluetooth
- Input: full-size keyboard with numeric pad, textured multitouch touchpad and on/off button
- Ports and Slots: 2 USB 3.0; 1 USB 2.0, HDMI and VGA video ports, multi-in-one media card reader
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion battery
- Dimensions: 1.5 x 16.2 x 10.5 inches
- Weight: 6.6 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year