The $700-dollar Acer Aspire M5-583P-9688 is a thin-class 15.6-inch notebook PC with touchscreen input support, a fast Intel Core i7-4500U dual-core processor with decent Intel HD 4400 integrated graphics, a spacious 1-Terabyte hard disk drive, and equally generous 8GB of main system memory.
All components are features are encased in a silver brushed aluminum shell, which combined with the 0.9″ slim profile and chiclet (non-backlit) keyboard delivers an exceptionally elegant look. It’s interesting to note this model has ports located on the rear side of the keyboard deck, instead of normally left and right sides. The Acer M5-583P-9688 weighs 5.3 pounds, so despite its thinness it’s not a great travel companion.
On the positive side, it provides standard-size display diagonal of 15.6 inches allowing you to communicate with Windows 8, applications, and games via 10-point touch input support. As a downfall, the screen resolution is mediocre 1,366-by-768 pixels. It’s an acceptable resolution for cheap laptops, but certainly disappointing for an $800-dollar machine.
Overall, the Acer Aspire M5-583P-9688 has a realistic price. The i7 processor, and large HDD and RAM capacities justify the relatively high price tag and they appear to be the main selling points besides the touchscreen display and aluminum chassis. If you want to go full HD and have a backlit keyboard alongside the core components of this laptop, you can check out the Dell Inspiron I15RV-1952BLK for a higher price of $870. Another alternative is the HP Envy TouchSmart m6-k025dx for $780. It has a full HD screen and backlight keyboard keys, but the Intel Core i5-4200U is slower and 750GB HDD capacity is lower. During the Black Friday sales at Best Buy, the HP will cost only $600, so if you manage to grab one you’ll get the best bang for the buck.
Acer Aspire M5-583P-9688 Specifications
- 15.6-inch screen with 10-point touch input and 1366 x 768 resolution
- Intel Core i7-4500U “Haswell” dual-core processor at 1.8GHz-3.0GHz, with 4MB cache with Intel HD 4400 integrated graphics
- 8GB DDR3 system memory
- 1-Terabyte (~1,000GB) 5,400rpm hard drive
- No DVD burner
- 1.3MP 720p web camera
- Stereo speakers, Dolby Home Theater v4 audio technology
- Wireless-N, Gigabit Ethernet LAN, Bluetooth 4.0 + HS, Intel Wi-Di (Wireless Display)
- Chiclet-style keyboard with num-pad, no backlight, multitouch touchpad
- Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, 1 x SD/MMC multimedia memory card reader
- 4-cell 3560 mAh lithium-polymer battery, “6.5 hours” of battery life
- Dimensions: 0.9″ x 15″ x 10.1″
- Weight: 5.3 pounds
- OS: Windows 8
- Warranty: 1-year